|Synchronous? Asynchronous? What's that????|
What is Synchronous?
- Enable real-time communication and collaboration in a "same time-different place" mode. These tools allow people to connect at a single point in time, at the same time.
- Example, visual images, video conferencing, audio conferencing and text conferencing.
- Being able to engage people instantly and at the same point in time.
- They require same-time participation -different time zones and conflicting schedules can create communication challenges. In addition, they tend to be costly and may require significant bandwidth to be efficient.
- Enable communication and collaboration over a period of time through a "different time-different place" mode. These tools allow people to connect together at each person's own convenience and own schedule.
- Example of Asynchronous is forum, blog and email.
- Being able to involve people from multiple time zones. In addition, asynchronous tools are helpful in capturing the history of the interactions of a group, allowing for collective knowledge to be more easily shared and distributed.
- They require some discipline to use when used for ongoing communities of practice (e.g., people typically must take the initiative to "login" to participate) and they may feel "impersonal" to those who prefer higher-touch synchronous technologies.